Thursday, November 4, 2010

Learning Styles Lecture

Today I went to an awesome lecture on learning styles. The lecture taught us about the different learning styles, and we then evaluated them and discussed the results. The lecture is part of a series presented at the Cartwright Learning Resource Center.

You can take the same quiz that I took, Felder's Learning Questionnaire. Here are my results: (If you click it, you can see it bigger)



So... what they mean. After we took the quiz, we went over each variable. The first one is active versus reflective. This means that I like to jump right into a project without dealing with instructions. This is something that I do, so I try put conscious effort into stopping and thinking things through. This relates to the bottom variable, sequential versus global. This variable means thinking about a broad idea with lots of interrelated concepts, and thinking step by step. I tend to think globally, but I use sequential tools like outlines, calendars, and to-do lists to keep me on track with my global goals.

The second variable is intuitive versus sensuous. I wish I was more sensuous, because apparently a lot of athletes are, and I told my story about watching coaches explain activities in sports and having no clue what they said until I tried it. Apparently, a lot of athletes are very sensuous. However, I value my intuition a lot.

The third variable is visual versus verbal. I'm pretty in the middle on this, and that makes sense. I am very visual AND very verbal. I like pictures and movies, but I also like thinking in words and talking about things.

I hope you (the reader) finds this useful. I'd love to to know what other people scored.

No comments:

Post a Comment